We are officially counting down to Christmas! But I’m sure everyone enjoys a good homemade eggnog, am I right? This egg nog is to die for, and doesn’t require you to drink raw yolks if you don’t want to! I’m normally not a big eggnog fan, but I was fully converted last year when I tried pumpkin spice eggnog. I know, so basic, but it was seriously the best! Now, this homemade eggnog recipe does not have any alcohol in it (sorry kiddies), but I recommend bailey’s or your favorite rum! Something smooth to give you a little buzz.
I know you’re dying to try this yummy homemade eggnog. However, I adopted this recipe from Tastes Better From Scratch, so the directions and ingredients are almost exactly the same. The only difference is that I make my own whipped cream, which you can find a recipe for here. Additionally, you can include vanilla bean seeds to give it that vanilla spice flavor. However, it’s not really needed. This recipe is somewhat complicated from the normal recipes I do, but this is my first time making homemade eggnog. Hopefully next time I can come up with something a little more simple! So, shall we get to it? Because I’m dying to give you this recipe!
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- seeds of one vanilla bean
- ground cinnamon, for topping
- whipped cream, for topping
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl until light and creamy.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cream, milk, nutmeg, vanilla bean seeds, and salt.
- Stir often until mixture reaches a bare simmer.
- Add a big spoonful of the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking vigorously. Repeat, adding a big spoonful at a time, to temper the eggs.
- Once all of the hot milk has been added to the eggs, pour the mixture back into the saucepan on the stove.
- Whisk constantly, until mixture reaches 160 degrees F on a thermometer.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, as much as I do! It’s a really good recipe, especially with homemade whipped cream!